Monday, April 15, 2013

A Spoonful of Sugar...or Explosives

In every job that must be done
there is an element of fun
You find the fun...
And Snap,
the job becomes a game.
~Mary Poppins

     I've heard Julie Andrews convey that message countless times.  In my youth it really just aggravated me.  There I was, snap, snap, snapping away at my bed, dolls, games, and clothes with no results while she and those bug eyed Banks children had their things cleaned up perfectly with the same moves.  Now, as an adult trying to instill some form of responsibility in my children, I see the value of the message (if you are able to take the "snap" a little less literally).  For example, had I asked Aston and Clara if they wanted to clean the toilets this weekend they would have said, "Cleaning makes me tired" and stomped off, slamming the door on the way, respectively.  However, when I asked, "Who wants to make Potty Bombs?", they were pushing and shoving to be the first one to the bathroom.  Armed with vinegar and baking soda Clara and Aston made fizzley explosions in one toilet after another cheering all the while (the urinal was by far the most exciting) and I was left with sparkling white toilet bowls.  So, sing away Mary...

Just a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down
In a most delightful way!

No comments:

Post a Comment