Sunday, April 29, 2012

Sweet Sunday Morning or Aston Still Hates Baseball

     8:00 am to 9:10 am Sunday morning.  I imagine people sitting side by side with their neighbors listening to words of peace and love.  I imagine people wrapped up in fuzzy robes sitting in a sunkissed kitchen drinking warm cups of coffee reading the paper.  I imagine children enjoying smiley face breakfasts made out of fried eggs, bacon, and orange wedges.  I imagine these things are happening in my neighborhood but not in my house.  No, in my house from 8:00 am to 9:10 am on Sunday morning we watched the red, tear stained face of Aston and listened to him wail, "I want MY hat back!!! I HATE baseball and that stupid guy who taked my hat from me."


     "Well, Aston, they gave you a new hat", I explained.  Ariel shot me a confused look so I filled him in on what the matter was while Aston continued his freak out beside me.  The day T shirts and hats were handed out Aston's coach grabbed a hat and shirt out of a black garbage bag and gave it to Aston.  Before we went to the game yesterday we wrote Aston's name on the hat just in case he misplaced it.  As Aston was walking on to the field a different coach took Aston's hat off of his head and replaced it with a different one.  This coach then questioned me on where I had got the hat Aston showed up in.  I explained that the other coach gave it to us. I was feeling very much like I was on some sort of Little League criminal trial.  It turns out that this hat was a special coach's hat (which explains why it was so big) and Aston clearly is not a coach so they swapped it for a team hat.


     When I was done filling Ariel in Aston was still at it.  He wanted to get in the car Right NOW and go to the baseball field to rescue his hat.  He wanted nothing to do with the new hat. Every time I put it on his head he threw it violently to the ground.  He only stopped going on about hating coaches and hating coach hats once to add that he also hated red guys because they were getting in the way of his running place.  He did a little charades skit where he was running very fast then appeared to pick up the offending "red guy" over his head and throw him to the ground so he could keep running super fast to his "running place".  I assume this is a base.


At 9:09 am the clouds parted and Aston said he was pretty sure he could calm down if Clara would build a blanket fort with him.  At 9:10 am the house was quiet.  At 9:11 am I felt a strong urge to have a stiff drink. 

No comments:

Post a Comment